The Aryna Sabalenka vs Elise Mertens fixture in the 2023 Australian Open will take place on Friday, January 21, 2023, starting at 3:30 a.m. GMT. The venue is Margaret Court Arena, Melbourne.
Latest odds on betting sites
Aryna Sabalenka is priced with the odds of 1.25 (-400 American; 1/4 Fractional) to win the next match, which equals an approximate probability of 76%. Elise Mertens has an odds of 4.20 (+320; 16/5) to qualify for the next stage. The chances of this outcome are approximately equal to 24%.
The latest odds for Aryna Sabalenka vs Elise Mertens (January 21, 2023):
- Over 19.5 games — 1.85 (-117; 17/20)
- Under 19.5 games — 1.95 (-105; 19/20)
- Asian handicap (-1.5) sets on Sabalenka — 1.70 (-143; 7/10)
- Asian handicap (+1.5) sets on Mertens — 2.15 (+115; 23/20)
- Asian handicap (-5.5) games on Sabalenka — 2.00 (+100; 1/1)
- Asian handicap (+5.5) games on Mertens — 1.80 (-125; 4/5)
Match preview and statistics
Aryna Sabalenka won the 2023 WTA Adelaide before the 2023 Australian Open. He defeated all her rivals to nil that tournament and started the current one with two more victories with 2-0 scores.
In the first round, Aryna Sabalenka smashed Tereza Martincova (6-1, 6-4). In the third game of the first set, the Czech tennis player reached a 40-0 score but was unlucky to convert any out of four break points. In the remaining games, Sabalenka did not give her rival any break points to finish it with a 6-1 score. Aryna Sabalenka won the second return game of the second set to reach an advantage and kept it to the end of the match.
In Round 2, the Belarusian tennis player met Shelby Rogers (6-3, 6-1). This match was as easy as the first one. Aryna Sabalenka did not make any double faults and saved three out of four break points. She won seven out of eight service games and five out of eight return games.
Aryna Sabalenka has won the last four matches to nil. Her victory with a 2-0 score is priced with the odds of 1.70 (-143; 7/10) against Elise Mertens.
Elise Mertens came back against Garbine Muguruza (3-6, 7-6, 6-1) in the first round. The first set was incredibly close. Elise Mertens reached a 40-0 in the seventh game and was close to receiving a winning advantage, but failed it. In the second set, the tennis players showed equal play, but Mertens absolutely smashed her rival in tie-breaks. She continued her domination in the third set winning five games in a row after a 1-1 score.
In the most recent fixture, Elise Mertens beat Lauren Davis (6-4, 6-3), who had a streak of eight victories before that match. However, it was not a problem for the Belgium tennis player. The first set, but Mertens was a bit stronger. In the second one, she won four games in a row after a 2-3 score.
A total of over 9.5 games in the first set, has played out in three of the last four matches with Elise Mertens participating. The exact total comes with the odds of 2.45 (+145; 29/20).
Aryna Sabalenka vs Elise Mertens H2H
The last H2H match was finished in favor of Aryna Sabalenka (6-4, 6-1). She eliminated Elise Mertens in the 1/8 finals of the 2021 US Open.
Prediction and betting tips
Aryna Sabalenka looks much stronger in this fixture. She has a streak of six victories finishing eight out of 12 won sets in 10 regular games. Also, she has won the last five H2H matches against Elise Mertens with four to nil. In the most recent H2H fixture, Sabalenka was much stronger winning 59% of points.
Elise Mertens was close to being eliminated by Garbine Muguruza in the first round and beat Lauren Davis in the last game. She has lost four of the last seven matches. I cannot believe that she will show anything special against Sabalenka in her current form.
Betting prediction: Asian handicap (-5.5) games on Sabalenka
Odds: 2.00 (+100 American; 1/1 Fractions)
Share your thoughts!